TIE A GUITAR STRING AROUND YOUR FINGER
Tie a guitar string around your finger…as a reminder that Round II of the Delmarva Folk Hero Contest happens Saturday, July 19, at 7:30 p.m. at the Wesley College Chapel in Dover Delaware.
The Delmarva Folk Hero Contest is a long-standing tradition that show-cases local folk musicians during three rounds of open-mic coffee houses.
Singer, songwriter Jessica Graae, and the folk/jazz duo Steffi and Tim, were the finalists for Round I in June. That leaves two more opportunities for aspiring musicians to compete—on July 19 and August 16.
Here’s how the contest works:
- Coffee-Houses are held at the Wesley College Chapel, 3 N. Bradford St, Dover DE, 19904.
- Candidates perform at one of three of the designated Folk Hero Open-Mic nights: June 7, July 19, and August 16.
- Those who aren’t chosen as finalists their first time are free to compete again.
- The music starts at 7:30 p.m., so contestants should arrive and sign up early. The number of slots are limited.
- Candidates should present a folk or folk-related genre; i.e. traditional, Americana, Roots, Bluegrass, Blues, Celtic, Jazz, New Age, World, Old-Time, Roots, or Story-telling. (No drum kits.)
- Finalist compete again in a “play-off,” on Friday night at the Delmarva Folk Festival.
- The final winner opens the Saturday show on the Festival’s main stage
- Finalists and the winner are selected through audience ballots, so candidates should bring their friends, fans, and family.
Along with performing the opening act at the Folk Festival, the final winner receives the following prizes:
- $100 cash
- Photo shoot with professional photographer Eric Young
- Radio interview with Mark Rogers on WSTW 93,7’s Hometown Heroes show
- Two hours of recording time at Digital Street Studio
So it’s time to tune your instrument and finalize your set list. Come on out and share your music.
July 19 is the date.
For more information about the Folk Hero Contest call (302) 827-FOLK or visit http://delfolk.org/index.html .